The Internship offered by the Arizona Dream Intern Program is a cooperative partnership with local employers to provide:
- Eight (8) week paid internship
- Workforce readiness
- Job skills development
- Dream Interns receive $2,500 over the course of their employment period.
Because the internship program is open only to Dream Scholar candidates, completing the Dream Scholar application is the first step in having an opportunity to secure a summer internship. Dream Scholar applications are due in early September. (See the Dream Scholar Information).
Interns are selected by a selection committee using the following criteria:
- Readiness to participate in the full 8 weeks of the internship program.
- Availability of a work site that matches the student's preferred for interest in specific training and/or a desire to work in the particular setting or with a similar population.
- Eligibility to work in the United States.
- Location and availability of transportation to the work site.
Internship opportunities are automatically included in the awards package for students selected as Dream Scholars. Additional internships are extended to Dream Scholar candidates who make it to the second round of the scholarship competition. They are made aware of the opportunity in late fall and contacted by email with an offer to participate for the Dream Internship Program the following spring. Intern candidates must indicate their interest to participate and reply to the questionnaire they receive by the deadline indicated. All intern candidates must be available to participate the full 8 weeks of the internship program including the first week Dream Internship Summer Academy.
Summer Dream Academy
All Dream Interns are required to attend the summer academy, which is held the first week of the internship. The summer academy consists of a week of half-day workshops designed to prepare interns for their work experience. Workshops are presented by business and industry professionals on such topics as work ethics, communication, workplace appearance, financial literacy, leadership and more. Depending on the employer, interns may report to their work sites the second half of the day.
Past Dream Intern Sponsors:
- Arizona Informant Newspaper
- Comfort Suites Inn
- DP Electric Company
- FIBCO, Inc.
- Golden State Foods
- Health Choice Arizona
- Maricopa Community Colleges
- My Brothers Keeper